Friday, July 3, 2009

About two weeks ago, Charlie told me he thought it was time to pull all the onions in the garden. So, I went out to “pull them” and actually had to dig them up. I dug down several inches and found what I thought was a good number of onions which I brought in, cleaned and put in the refrigerator.

A few days later, Charlie began digging up the ground where the onions had been so we could plant something else. He dug 10-12 inches into the ground, and found 3-4 times as many onions as I found. I was surprised I had missed so many.

The Lord began reminding me how easy it is for us to settle for shallowness. Even in reading God’s Word, we can stop with what seems to be the obvious meaning. If we take the scripture at surface value, it can still be powerful and apply to our lives. However, as with the onions, there is a depth to the Word of God that only comes when we “dig deeper.” I am not talking about reading something into the Word that is not there, but am referring to deeper revelation and understanding of the character and ways of God that He wants to give to us.

Twenty years ago a friend prayed that I would have “holy curiosity” for the Word. That prayer has been answered in abundance in my life. I find myself asking questions like, “God, why did you put the scripture about the Word of God being a two-edged sword right in the middle of the scriptures on rest (Hebrews 4)? And what is important about a two-edged sword?" "Who were you talking to when you said, ‘You will do greater things that I do because I go to the Father. ‘ Does that include me? If so, show me what that means to my life and how I am to walk in it." "Why do you say in one place that women should not speak in church, when only a few chapters before you tell the women to cover their heads when they pray and prophesy in church?" "What was it about Jesus that people left absolutely everything and followed Him? What is it that we, much of the American Church, are missing that we have not ‘left all’ to totally surrender to Jesus?”

I also get focused on little words like “all.” I wonder what God means when He says we can be filled with all the fullness of God (Ephesians 3:19), or when He says “…having done all, to stand…" What is the “all” I am to do?

I am not talking about spending hours studying the Word, although I love to do that in those rare times when I can. I never had that much time when my children were at home or when I was working. But I did learn that there are ways to go deeper, even when busy. My favorite is to write a scripture on a 3 X 5 card (because I am not a high tech person who can put it on my phone and carry that with me - not that any of those kinds of things were available when I had children at home!) Then when I am driving, standing in line, eating lunch or just taking a quick break, I can pull out the card, read and even memorize that scripture and let it go over and over in my mind. That is meditating on the Word…sort of like a cow chewing its cud! It brings spiritual nourishment to our lives and deeper understanding.

So, I pray that the Lord will give you a holy curiosity, and that you will begin to "dig deeper" into the Word of God, and find the truths that are planted deep. You will be amazed at the revelation He will bring.

5 comments:

  1. What a great prayer request...Seems like you wrote that just for me and we only met once at Christie's wedding! Holy curiousity - definitely going to send that God's way. Thanks, Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Holy curiousity"... wow, that is good!! I am asking Him for it even as I write this. Thank you!!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dig deeper. I think that's a message for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your story about the onions -- it is easy to miss the blessings and teachings that require "digging deep". Thanks for this post, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love words and I love the Word. Like you I am always asking questions. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not like a toddler who drives her parents crazy with continuous and unending, insistent questions. But then I think of Jacob who wrestled with God and would not let go until the LORD blessed him. Our questions could seem trivial to Him, but I think God must delight in our questions and "holy curiosity."

    ReplyDelete