Thursday, June 25, 2009

Working the garden...and the rewards

It is only 10:30AM and I have just come into the house for the rest of the day…at least until evening when it cools back into the low 90’s. I have been outside for several hours working in the garden. I am tired, hot, sweating and dirty! But I have a sense of satisfaction because of the work I have done.

A garden has to be worked every day. I picked green beans on Monday and today many of the beans I picked, in only three days time have grown too big to eat. Once they begin growing, they really grow fast. In two pickings I have 5 pounds of beans. I also picked tomatoes, our first cucumber, and two okra pods - not quite enough for a meal yet. And you should see our watermelon plants. They are taking over the ground and are covered with blooms. We even have a “volunteer” watermelon plant…one we did not plant, but it just popped up among the pepper plants.

Some people have responded to the idea of having a garden with “that sounds fun.” When I hear that response, I figure that those people, like I was in years past, probably have no experience and are not informed about all that goes into growing a garden. It is not really “fun.” It is absolutely hard work and responsibility…but with great rewards. The ground has to be prepared, the seeds planted, daily watering, weeding. And then when the fruit or veggies begin to come in, you have to pick them regularly, along with continuing the other work, and then you have to do something with them. If you only pick them and don’t prepare them for eating, canning or freezing, they go to waste. So it is work from beginning to end.

Our spiritual lives are much like a garden. They have to be maintained daily - and often take work many times during the day. We must prepare the ground of our heart with much prayer and consistent relationship with God. We must plant the seed. The Word represents the “seeds” that go into our heart and take root. We must daily water the seed with faith, and by meditating on the Word so it will go deep in our hearts and we will gain understanding. Our hearts much be constantly weeded of sin through repentance, lest our sin overruns and chokes out the Godly fruit.

And when our lives bear fruit, it is not just so we will look good. It is not for observing. Last year we had zucchini plants that were beautiful and which blossomed profusely. However, we got no fruit. The flowers did not turn into zucchinis. They were pretty…but were no good. We are not just meant to bloom, to look good or to smell good, but we are called to bear fruit (John 15: 1-2, 15).

And fruit is no good unless it is picked and eaten. Godly fruit in our lives is not just for us, but is for the purpose of ministering to those around us. When you look at the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), you see that it reveals the character of God. That is why it is “fruit of the Spirit” not fruit of human effort. John wrote that we cannot bear fruit apart from Him (John 15:4-5). It is not something we can do on our own. Fruit is a product of the work of the Holy Spirit within us, as we cooperate with and obey Him.

The lost in the world will not know there is a God by our going to church or being “religious.” They will know there is a God by our love for one another (John 13:35) and our love for them. When we reach out to them and show them that we care, that inclusive love will touch their hearts. When they see peace and joy in our lives, despite the economy and challenging circumstances, they will want to know how that can be. They will watch our lives, and will be drawn to come and eat of the fruit of our lives, which we are to give freely. Our lives are to point the world to Jesus and His character. That is true witnessing…living and demonstrating the character of Jesus to those around us.

Granted, just like gardening, taking care of our spiritual lives takes work, time, energy, dedication, perseverance, endurance. It takes surrender, yielding and obedience. But, most of all, when you have passion for Jesus and are in love with Him, the work seems like nothing at all. All effort becomes pure joy and delight. A sense of effort is overcome by the amazing privilege of deeper revelation and deeper intimacy with Him. That IS what heaven is all about! So, I pray that your spiritual garden is in good shape, is in the process, and that you are bearing much fruit and sharing it with others. That brings a smile to the face of our Lord. How great is that?

4 comments:

  1. If you get too many veggies let me know. I knew an old farmer on the way out to Wylie that grew a garden every year until he passed away. He would call me and let me know when the veggies were ready for picking. He was really suprised that someone my age would get out there and pick veggies and can them. He said he could always rely on me coming and picking so when he quit selling to the public he called me and told me his sign would no longer be up but he would always plant extra for me to come pick. He said it always gave him and his wife a little extra income. He would charge us by the bushel. After we would pick he would weigh them and decide on a price. We would make this a family outting it was interesting seeing Ted and James learn to pick veggies. We never met his wife but he was very sweet and loved to talk. I grew up with my mother canning so I already knew how. This last Christmas my mother bought me a new canner since my old one broke. She told me they are not as easy to find as they used to be. Neither one my other two sisters picked up canning. James asked me if when he gets married I will teach his wife how to can and make jellies. I said of course. One year I did plant a lot of tomatoes (16 plants a whole lot of tomatoes) and canned them. Thank You for sharing I never really thought of the correlation between gardening and our spiritual lifes also. I did thing about the scriptures that talk about pruning and being the vine. It is interesting to watch the plants grow and think about how we have all grown spiritually over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post- I love the analogy of our spiritual lives being a garden. More importantly, I know that if we do not tend to our gardens on a regular basis, they become choked with weeds, starving for spiritual nourishment, and dried up from a lack of attention. That is my conviction. Thank you for the sweet reminder.

    I am loving your blog! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice with us!

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you spend a lot of time in your garden, and it can either be a chore, or, if you choose, it can be a place of inspiration. I guess life is like that too! I love your posts and am glad that you can share your Godly and Mom-ly wisdom with the blogging community.

    Love you!
    -Christie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that metaphor of the garden and my soul. But I also love that "it" all started in a garden. I love reading your posts and learning what you are learning. Passing on your legacy....

    ReplyDelete